Tobacco-Free College Campuses
Beginning on July 1, 2015, all State-supported universities and public community colleges will be required to go smoke-free. The Illinois Smoke Free Campus Act will prohibit smoking on all campus property including buildings, grounds, parking lots, and vehicles that are owned or operated by a State-supported university or public community college. The Act defines “smoking” as the carrying, smoking, burning, inhaling, or exhaling of any kind of lighted pipe, cigar, cigarette, hookah, weed, herbs, or other lighted smoking equipment. “Smoking” also includes products containing or delivering nicotine intended or expected for human consumption.
The prohibitions on smoking in the Act must be communicated to all students, guests, and employees on or before May 1, 2015.
Suggested Timeline for a Tobacco Free Campus Policy
- Form a task force of students and faculty
- Finalized policy language: grounds, campus vehicles, personal vehicles, etc.
- Finalize an implementation date
- Develop compliance and enforcement strategy
- Send notices to students, faculty, and staff
- Media plan for newspapers, campus home page, social media, etc.
- Inform incoming students, parents, and vendors
- Design signage and advertise policy
- Plan for implementation celebration
- Implementation day celebration
- Provide cessation resources
- Hang signage
- Continue task force meetings to ensure successful policy and plan for future events to promote policy (i.e. Great American Smoke Out, Kick Butts Day)
We can help you implement a tobacco-free campus policy
The Will County Health Department Tobacco Control & Prevention program can provide:
- A Staff member to become a part of your task force.
- Technical Assistance with developing a smoke-free/tobacco-free campus policy. For example, this could include providing policy templates, surveys, educational presentations, etc.
- Sample communications to your students and faculty.
- Metal Smoke-Free or Tobacco-Free Campus Signs.
- Smoke-Free or Tobacco-Free Campus Door Decals.
- Tobacco Cessation Resources
If you are interested in viewing the Illinois Smoke Free Campus Act in its entirety please visit Illinois General Assembly, Public Act 098-0985.
Download the Tobacco Free College Campus Technical Assistance & Materials Request Form (there's a downloadable form at the end of this page) to request the following:
- Free Smoke-Free IL Campus Door Decals
- Free Tobacco-Free Campus Door Decals
- Free Metal Smoke-Free or Tobacco-Free Campus Signs (available in 6x10 or 12x18)
- Freedom From Smoking Program to assist students, staff, and faculty with quitting smoking
- Technical assistance with writing a smoke or tobacco-free campus policy
For questions contact the Will County Health Department Tobacco Control & Prevention program at 815-727-8769.