Comprehensive Psychiatric Outpatient Services shall be in accordance with the services set forth by DHS/DMH Medicaid Rule 132:
- All services shall be provided by physicians licensed under the Medical Practice Act of 1987.
- Such physicians are either Board-Certified or Board-Eligible in psychiatry with experience in providing clinical psychiatric services to children and adolescents.
- Psychiatrists are support by a staff of Psychiatric Nurses.
Services provided directly by psychiatric physicians shall encompass:
- Psychiatric evaluation to determine a psychiatric diagnosis that may be amenable to treatment with psycho-pharmacological and other medical/psycho-therapeutic intervention.
- Provision of treatment including prescription administration and monitoring of response to medication.
- Provision of clinical direction and /or consultation to/with other mental health professionals in the development and implementation of a treatment plan.
- Promotion of the recovery process by participating in a team approach with other treatment staff and by providing medical leadership when appropriate.
- Maintenance of stability and promotion of optimal levels of functioning through ongoing use and intensive management of psychotropic agents.
- Assurance that psychiatric treatment services meet accepted community and professional standards of practice including:
- Safe medication management through appropriate monitoring of the person served for primary psychiatric symptoms and side effects, medical follow up and client education.
- Evaluation and monitoring persons served regarding somatic illnesses, which may impact psychiatric syndromes or the use or efficacy of psychotropic medications.
- Appropriate adjustment of all psychotropic medications through regular personal clinical observation and assessment to prevent relapse and maintain clinical stability.
- Use of indicated baseline and follow-up laboratory tests (blood work, EKG, EEG, imaging studies, etc.).
- Referral for clinical services, which promote the overall behavioral and physical health of the client.
- Communication with other clinical staff and team members regarding comprehensive treatment planning and assessment of the person served’s progress.